The Castle of St John is a medieval tower house, built around 1500 by the Adairs of Kilhilt, one of the most powerful families in Wigtownshire. Over the centuries the Castle has been used as a home, a local court, a military garrison and a prison.

Enjoy a fantastic day out watching the videos and reconstructions which to tell the story of the medieval landowners who built and lived in the Castle, the Government troops who used the Castle as their headquarters during the “Killing Times” in the 1680s and the criminals and debtors imprisoned in the Castle during the 19th century.”